The castle is located on a hill overlooking the river Danube, the southern-most hill of the Small Carpathian Mountains, 150 meters above sea level. You can access it by foot from two sides - up Beblaveho street from the Old Town or from Mudronova street by the Slovak Parliament building up at the hill.
The Bratislava Castle houses some collections of the Slovak National Museum - notably the archeological exhibition "Treasures of Slovakia's Long-Gone Past", several historical exhibitions (history, furniture, clocks) and a music exhibition. The museum is open daily except Mondays, from 9 am to 5 pm.
There are traces of human settlement on the hill from the ancient times. At the time of the Great Moravian empire, there was a castle on the hill, which played a major political role. The first written mention of the castle comes from 907 AD. After the demise of Great Moravia, the Bratislava Castle was a border fortification of the Hungarian governor. In 1811, the castle burned down completely and stood in ruins until restoration in 1953. In the Communist era, it then served as the Bratislava quarters of the Czechoslovak president and for official functions of the Slovak National Council (parliament). At present, the Slovak parliament still uses parts of the compound
In addition to the castle itself, the castle hill offers many interesting features to explore. The narrow winding streets from the Old Town Side contain several pleasant restaurants, cafes and galleries. The castle hill is a mixture of historic, Communist-era and contemporary landscaping.
See assorted photos of the Bratislava Castle.
Castle is currently under reconstruction (until about 2011-2012). See more information here.
Author & Credits
Copyright: © 2017, Jakub Zilincan, bratislavaguide.com
Images credit: author
Posted by Jakub January 16, 2017
As Bratislava looked to shed the greyness of the Communist era many buildings were repainted. In an attempt to enliven the city centre, a few quirky statues were installed. Their popularity with tourists led to new statues, filling the centre of Bratislav...
Posted by Jakub January 17, 2017
New Bridge (formerly known as SNP Bridge) - built in 1969 without pillars, hanging on steel ropes. A beautiful synagogue and other nice buildings had to give way. The Communist-era restaurant with crappy food and great views accessible by elevator in one ...
Posted by Jakub January 11, 2017
Cerveny Kamen Castle - wonderfully restored medieval castle with a museum accessible by car. Driny Cave - a beautiful cave with 450 m of walking paths offering guided tours near Smolenice, see directions and photo gallery here accessible by car or by bus ...