Rusovce, one of the districts of Bratislava, has a specific historical and geographical position. It has been a historical town reserve since 1990. Now it offers cultural monuments and it is a seat of Slovak folklore ensembles.
How to get there
Rusovce is located on the right bank of river Danube close to Slovak-Austrian borders. It is accessible by public transport (buses No. 91 and 191 from bus stop Novy most - New Bridge).
Two cultural monuments in Rusovce are registered as National Cultural Monuments: Church of St. Magdalena and Roman Military Camp Gerulata. The Roman-Catholic Church of St. Magdalena comes from 17th century. It is open to public and is located on Gerulatska Street. The other cultural monuments include Rome-Catholic vicarage on Gerulatska Street, Lutheran Church on Madarska Street, the former Catholic school on Madarska Street and rustic houses on Balkanska and Irkutska Street.
Museum of Antic Gerulata
Gerulata, which dates back to the 2nd – 4th century is the only Roman military camp in Slovakia. It is located behind the Church of St. Magdalena on Gerulatska Street. The exposition includes fundaments of the buildings from 2nd and 4th century, sculptural works and other archaeological troves. The museum is open daily from May to October except for Mondays 10:00 a.m.–5 p.m. The adult ticket costs € 1.33, children, students and elderly costs € 0.66.
Rusovce is a seat of the only professional folklore ensemble in Slovakia called SLUK, which represents traditional Slovak culture. It is world known for its folklore music and dances. SLUK's performances are based on the authentic Slovak folks art. SLUK was established 1949. Rusovce became its seat in 1950.
Cafe-Restaurant SLUK on Balkanska Street offers traditional Slovak cuisine. The premises in style of rustic Slovak house create a unique atmosphere. The restaurant is open on Mondays to Fridays 9:00 am - 10:00 pm and on Saturdays to Sundays 12:00 am - 10:00 pm.
Comments from our visitors:
joseph oroszvari wrote on 04.05.2009 at 04:29:53:
Did RUSOVCE belong to HUNGARY before 1949, AND was it called OROSZVAR?