Blue Church is Bratislava's most attractive Art Nouveau (Secession) building. It is astonishingly blue from pews to the roof.
The official name of the Catholic church built at the beginning of the 20th century and sanctified in 1913 is the Church of St. Elisabeth of Hungary. It was designed by architect Edmund Lechner from Budapest and is considered a great example of Hungarian secession.
The Blue Church's oval tower is 36.8 metres tall. Interior decorations include the Elisabethan rose. Two coast of arms are displayed - Hungarian and the City of Bratislava. A cricular mosaic of St. Elisabeth can be seen above the portal.
Mass is served at the church regularly. Many Bratislava visitors come to see this landmark (referred to as candy-coloured or fairy-tale), tucked away in quiet streets of the Old Town. Nearby stands a high school building by the same architect.
Address: Bezrucova 2, Bratislava
Phone: +421 2 5273 3571
GPS coordinates: 48.14338, 17.1168